Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Day 8: I'm With Her...but can we chill?

Day 8 & it's a significant one too.

So we know 'Murica decides today. This their election has been stressing somebody since they started campaigning. If you follow me on twitter, you know I'm not a political pundit but I've sort of been following this one keenly. DT's supporters wear me out. Ignorance and hatred is such a potent mix. My preferred candidate is HRC but which one concyn fish with raincoat?  My opinions on either candidate is irrelevant as far as helping either one of them get into office. That not withstanding...I'm with her. Of course I'm with her: qualified, experienced, big cojones and above all, clearly not insane.

My gripe with this elections are many-fold: facts v fiction, hello  divisive, light on issues, mudslinging  on unprecedented levels & has fully opened the nyansh of the country. BUT, there's one rhetoric that is being touted that bugs me: it's the "history is about to be made" rhetoric vis a vis the possible emergence of a female president. It is history no doubt...in America but it is not history for most of the world.

In 1980, when the little country of Iceland democratically elected a single mother to be its first female president, world history was made. Since then, we've seen female leaders even in Africa that is deemed to be a patriarchal continent.

When I see talks of "she's about to break the glass ceiling" I wonder if people's google is broken. Right now, there are at least 7 sitting female heads of states. Do their accomplishments not count for shit?  Is something legitimized only when it is done by Americans?

I wish HRC the very best of luck. This election, for me,  underscores a key issue of a qualified woman being placed at par with an ill qualified man AND still having to prove herself when her superiority to her opponent is as clear as day. Her election (God willing) will be a triumph over this fight women have fought before her, are fighting and may continue to fight for some time. I wish HRC the best of luck as she, by her accomplishments, contributes to the fabric of defining moments for women. I will not, however, stand by and watch the accomplishments of other women be diminished by factual inaccuracies. This particular "history" has been made. The beautiful thing about history is that it continues to evolve because history is dynamic & not at all static, as such, HRC has the unique privilege of contributing her quota to history

So this defining moment for HRC and women of the USA is proudly brought to us by wives, mothers, daughters and sisters that have dared to take a stand & fight for women's rights and freedoms. The suffragettes. Vigdis Finnbogadottir. Olufunmilayo Ransome-Kuti and so many more on whose shoulders HRC stands tonight.

P:S: if you're able to vote, please do so. 

2 comments:

  1. Haha, even from the title of this post I knew what this was about. I kinda think when they are referring to 'history' they are referring to American history, but you Americans na, they like to dominate conversations and make their reality is also what the rest of the world's reality is. It's the same USA where their basketball teams play against each other, and the winner is referred to as 'world champions'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lekan's comment tho...that last sentence..lmao..well it's actually going to be interesting to see what the next 4 years would hold for America

    ReplyDelete

Say What?