Saturday, November 5, 2016

Day 5: Earliest Memories

The day is almost over but I made a promise: one day, one post. So let's get it.


The other day, I was pottering around the house when two very strong flashbacks hit me, literally back to back.

I remembered being three or four, going out with a neighbor to some church that had a grassy hill in Ibadan (IB people, does this sound familiar at all?) I recall that I was wearing a white frilly dress and black cortina-esque shoes. Anyways, I wandered over the hill and at the bottom of the hill a party was going on and I just wandered around the party for a bit till my neighbor, who was frantic with worry, came and scooped me up. I was just curious about what was on the other side of the hill. So I guess that was the day I almost ended up on BCOS as a missing child.

My second memory was of being three or four again and going to the dentist for an extraction. This was particularly memorable because I made a grown woman cry. I remember biting her...hard! I remember her running out crying and my mother scooping me up and going after her. I can still see her in my minds eye...dark skin, wearing a white lab coat, with a curly head of hair (ably assisted by jerry curl activator) tears streaming down her face. I remember vividly something being said about her just coming back from the abroad...yep, I bit an IJGB...I don't know why that tidbit was shared with my mother though, maybe to let her know that the lady did not have any experience with feral children such as myself that go around biting doctors. Who knows? Anyhow, if that's anyone's mummy and she has told them the story, I'd like to offer my unreserved apologies for such hooliganism in my earlier years. I have now changed and I don't go around biting dentists anymore...unless they ask me to and they are male...and fine...but I digress. I am sorry sha. 

Anyways, there is no rhyme or reason to this post other than the fact that I am intrigued that memories from those extremely early years are stored somewhere and can be accessed when the mind feels like it. We tend to remember the ass-whoopings and more things from the later formative years but not so much from the early days. It's a blessing to know that period is not completely lost. I think it's beautiful. Right now, it feels like some secret chamber been unlocked in my mind and these random memories are just flowing out.

Those are two of my earliest memories. I'm now recalling people, places, events and even tastes from way back in the day. It's kind of exciting.

Care to share some of your earliest memories?

4 comments:

  1. Lool @hooligan. I remember some stuff but my family will never let me forget some (that I cannot even remember) According to them, I was a naughty child. If you ask me, I think I was just interesting *kanye shrug* Maybe i'll blog about of few of my transgression

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, I know a thing or two about horrible family members whose sole purpose in life is to disgrace somebody with unwarranted trips down memory lane. *rme* I think I was just interesting too but they beg to differ. Words like "talkative" and "razz child" have been thrown around.

      Delete
  2. Hi Cherry,

    A few days ago, I saw some kids playing in the back seat of car. Almost immediately, I was reminded of an incident when I was about 5 years old. I was sitting in the back seat of my daddy's car and kept my wax crayons close to the back wind shield. After a while I reached for my crayons and they had all melted. It was very hot day.

    I miss the innocence of childhood, adulthood issues are far more complicated than melted crayons. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was too cute!!!!!! I know right? I wish all I had to worry about was missing earring hooks or dirty socks. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

Say What?