Thursday, July 18, 2013

Excerpt: The Mercy

Hey yáll....
*Dodging the virtual stones and evils directed my way*

Sorry na!
E ma binu. It was work. Enough gist tho. I left my old job and I have now relocated to a new place to start a new-old job. You see that there is gist? Well, blogging will resume its usual course, once a week, every week, henceforth. 

I was so inspired today, I dusted the cobwebs off my second blog Naija Church Girl and wrote a post on God's mercy. I have an excerpt here and you may read the rest on the blog. CherryChatter posts will follow next week. 
**************************************************
Has anyone read Romans 9? In your spare time, please read verses 13-26 particularly verses 15-16. If you have read it, does it not just stop you dead in your tracks and make you question what you thought you knew about a walk with God.

Let's see what Romans 9:15 says:

 For He said to Moses, I will have mercy on who I will have mercy on and I will have compassion on who I will have compassion on.

I read this during my devotion today and to be honest, it was one of the scariest things I have read in the Bible. This verse is derived from God's conversation with Moses in Exodus 33:19. It was referred to by Paul in expounding on the overriding effect of God's decisions. If you go further and go to verse 16, Paul went on t o say, it is not to him who wills or to him who runs but of God that shows mercy. I tell you, these two verses frightened me. I got to the office today and I began reading up on what God was trying to show me by these scriptures. Before we get to that, let me let you in on my initial reaction.

When I read that God will show mercy to whomever He pleases, I knew instinctively, that the mercy would be given on a selective basis. I immediately wanted to know what the selection would entail. I discovered that though there was selection involved, THERE WAS NO ALLUSION TO A SELECTION PROCESS!!!!!! How weird is that? It would be easy to just assume that the selection is random, but knowing what we know of God, He is a deliberate and precise being. NOTHING  is ever random. Still there is no selection process. 

As a human, I have undertaken exams all my life. Nothing ever goes for nothing. The selection process for moving on to the next class was usually 48% and above, if memory serves. Displaying competency and aptitude at a new job would set serious contenders apart from those who never got invited for a second interview. Even with my parents, the selection process for a child that obtained favor (despite unconditional love) was proving yourself academically.With all these human pre-conditioning, it is quite easy to see how I jumped to the search for the pre-qualifiers for God's mercy. To my disappointment, there was none. My disappointment was further compounded by verse 16. I then began to panic. My thoughts were:
 "but Lord, you asked us to become born-again, I did.You asked us to shun sin, I try. You said we should be cheerful givers, I'm learning, why then will these not be taken into account to qualify me for Your mercy.? I think You have set humanity up to fail if You have pre-selected those who will obtain mercy."

Continued on Naija Church Girl

Thank you guys!
Kilzeez....muah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


2 comments:

  1. We'll believe you when we see your next post. Good to have you back though

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, my shoe will hit you even if you hide in a dark cave mshewwww. That's a very long hiss o

    *resumes chewing gum*

    ReplyDelete

Say What?